I love barbecued chicken. I love chicken thighs. Therefore it follows that I love barbecued chicken thighs, right? Well, obviously I do because there are already a few different barbecued chicken thigh recipes on this site.
This one is different.
I mean it’s not a lot different. It’s still chicken thighs. It’s still barbequed, but it’s not your average red sticky sauce barbecue. It’s a mustard based sauce. But it’s also not the “Carolina Gold” sort of sweet vinegar mustard sauce you may have had slathered on ribs or chicken wings. It’s a little different because the base is a combination of yellow mustard, mayonnaise, and maple syrup, and because the meat is rubbed with a slightly spicy turmeric based rub before grilling.
That sort of amps up some of the flavor, and really amps up the … well, the yellow. These things are yellow. Really really yellow. That’s balanced by the char you get from a good indirect grilling (I strongly recommend charcoal) and I also recommend some tangy sides like homemade refrigerator pickles or pretty much any kind of slaw.
Maple Mustard BBQ Chicken ThighsCourse: Bone-In, Grilled
Grilled thighs with a sweet, tangy mustard sauce.
4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
4 tbsp dark amber maple syrup
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cider vinegar
6 drops liquid smoke (opt)
- Combine all ingredients.
- Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to combine.
- Combine all ingredients in the container of a spice grinder.
- Process until a fine, even powder forms.
- Generously sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the rub.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Grill or broil over medium high heat, turning occasionally, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 155°F (about 10 minutes per side) .
- Brush sauce onto thighs, and cook until the sauce is lightly caramelized and the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
Pingback: Maple Mustard BBQ Chicken Thighs — The Chicken Thigh Guy | My Meals are on Wheels