Asian-style chicken stocks are flavored with green onions or leeks and ginger. These mild flavorings ensure that other ingredients shine without the interference of strong European-style aromatics.
Recipes for European style light and dark chicken stocks can be found here:
Asian Style Chicken StockCourse: SoupsCuisine: Japanese, Chinese, koreanDifficulty: Easy
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 qts cold water
2 green onions
1 2-inch piece of ginger
- Peel the ginger (the edge of a spoon is a great tool for peeling ginger) and cut into ¼-inch coins.
- Wash the green onions and trim away the roots and any dried, green ends.
- Place all ingredients in a pan and bring to a low simmer.
- Simmer covered at a very low flame for 1-2 hours, skimming fat and foam if desired.
- When the stock is done, skim as much fat as possible and strain through many layers of cheesecloth or a flour sack / butter muslin towel. Straining while hot will result in a stock with better body.
Be sure to check out my other food project, The Weekly Menu!